BCBA CONSULTANT IN WEST AFRICA
MISSION OF AUTISM COMPASSION AFRICA:
ACA provides breakthroughs for children with autism and their communities in Ghana through the application of evidenced-based Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA). In addition, we provide: world class training in ABA for staff, families, and the community; supervision and support for BCBA candidates; as well as promote autism awareness across the country.
INFORMATION ABOUT ACA:
- 501c3 Non Profit based out of Seattle, WA
- Non Governmental Organization (NGO) registered in Ghana
- There are only two BCBAs in Ghana and both are employed by ACA
- They are two out of three in all of West Africa which is the size of the United States
- The center was opened to students in November of 2017
- ACA currently serves 14 students in the ABA center located in Cape Coast
- Consulting services are currently on-going in Accra, Ghana and Abuja, Nigeria with schools, families and other organizations
- Our vision includes building capacity within West Africa as well as disseminating ABA
- Two staff in Ghana and two staff in Nigeria are starting BCaBA coursework through scholarships from ACA this spring of 2019
DESCRIPTION OF CONTRACT DUTIES:
- Design and conduct training for Behavior Technicians
- Conduct interviews for new hire staff
- Provide BCBA/BCaBA practicum experience supervision
- Conduct intake assessments with new clients/students
- Conduct yearly assessments for current clients
- Provide feedback and help with designing employee goals
- Provide clinical development and oversight of student individual education plans (IEP) with supervision from Director
- Consult in schools, homes, and community environments as needed
- Conduct parent, staff and community trainings as needed
- Engage with autism awareness efforts including media interviews and participating in outreach projects
LOCATION OF POSITION
- The consulting position is primarily based in Accra, the busy and exciting capital of Ghana
- On a monthly basis the BCBA will be at our ABA center in Cape Coast, Ghana to support the mission of ACA. The center is located 3 hours along the coast from Accra.
- Such duties may include:
- Awareness outreach
- Supervision of BCBA and BCaBA candidates
- Consulting on cases with Clinical Supervisor
- While in Ghana, transportation costs related to work duties will be covered by ACA
- Duties may also include consulting in other countries across Africa
- ACA and/or Clients will provide visas/transportation/lodging/etc
- Such duties may include:
- Board Certified Behavior Analyst
- At least 3 years’ experience in Applied Behavior Analysis
- Willingness to immerse in local culture
- Commitment to ABA dissemination in areas where ABA is not currently readily available
- Two-year commitment
- Must be willing to start by Mid-April 2019
We pay a competitive salary in the local market and provide benefits and covered costs that make your living expenses very limited, while enjoying a richly fulfilling life in Ghana.
Clinical Supervisor Services can be billed up to $500 per month, $6000 annually and Reimbursable Expenses can be billed at up to $100 per month, $1200 annually.
Note that Ghana taxes consultant invoices at 20%, which you will be responsible to pay out of your Services Contract.
In addition to the Consultant Contract details above, you can also invoice for the reimbursement up to a total of $100 per month. Take home pay after taxes and reimbursement is $500 per month.
There are some key expenses that you will also incur by coming to work internationally, which ACA will cover on your behalf. Here is the breakdown:
· A one-way flight to come to Ghana (approximately $900 – estimate will change according to location of applicant)
· A round trip flight after completing your first year (approximately $1700)
· A one-way return flight at end of contract (approximately $900)
· This is a rough estimate, and ACA will cover up to this amount in flight costs. Any additional flight costs will be paid by the consultant for mid contract round trip flight.
Visa and Residence Permit
We will cover the cost of your initial entry visa (estimated $150), as well as the costs of securing a Residence Permit (estimated $600) and renewing it annually (estimated $300).
Any additional visas needed for personal travel will be paid by the consultant.
Lodging with the following amenities provided, at ACA volunteer house in Elmina:
· Fully furnished air-conditioned bedroom with mosquito nets and netting on windows
· large furnished living space
· large balcony
· furnished kitchen with gas stove and fridge and needed cooking supplies
· bathroom and shower
· Utilities covered by ACA (water, electricity, gas, garbage)
· Night security in Elmina
· Cleaner for house. She can do washing, cook meals and clean personal living space at an extra charge.
Lodging in Accra will be in a fully furnished apartment and utilities will be covered by ACA.
The estimated value is roughly $650 per month for Elmina house and up to $300 per month for Accra apartment. ACA will cover this cost. If consultant chooses to lodge offsite, those costs would be paid by the consultant.
TOTAL Costs covered by ACA for the Consultant
*Note that all currency is quoted in US Dollars.
In addition to providing the cost of these key expenses, ACA will also support the Consultant in navigating the immigration and travel logistics.
Come work for an organization that is on the forefront of ABA dissemination in West Africa. You will be one of few BCBAs in the region, with the ability to make an immense difference for the children and families that you engage with. Your services will make it possible for children who currently have very limited to no special education support to receive that for the first time.
Develop your skills as a BCBA in a new and emerging region of our work! You will have the opportunity to rapidly learn and grow in your own skillset as you navigate service provision in a new context. By the end of your contract, you’ll be able to look back in awe of the growth in your portfolio of ABA services and cases.
Ghanaian culture is incredibly welcoming. You’ll be blown away by the hospitality you receive and the warm welcome you get wherever you go. Take this chance to come to a new country and make the kind of difference that will shape your career, you will get so much more out of it than what you put in.
The contract period is two years (ex. April 2019-March 2021). Upon completion of the two years there will be an option to extend the contract pending mutual agreement of both parties and option for pay increase based on performance evaluation.
Send letter of interest and CV/Resume’ to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 8th, 2019.